I’ve always thought it was cool when people would say the number of states or countries that they’ve visited over the years but I never could remember how many. A friend posted a link to this site on their facebook page and I thought I’d give it a try. I’ve been to 27 states out of 50, not too shabby! As you can see by the photo below, it looks like I’m fond of the East Coast
visited 27 states (54%)
Create your own visited map of The United States
I did not do very well on the world map. Only 14 countries
visited 14 states (6.22%)
Create your own visited map of The World or Triposo world travel guide for Android
My blog will tend to be sorta random and although I tend to lead a healthy-ish lifestyle, I’m a mom and I’m creative and crafty I’m not really sure that I’d fit in to some of the well known blogger categories where healthy living bloggers or mommy bloggers find their niche. I have a wide variety of interests, skills and experiences and I don’t want to ignore any of those just so I fit into a make believe little box online of where people think I should be. There is no fun in that!
- 1. I grew up in Central FL and saw EVERY single shuttle launch ever. My grandparents lived across the river from the Space Center so I saw many there but was also fortunate enough to see them from each school I attended and all the places I’ve ever lived. I really wish that I didn’t take that for granted while it was going on, I know now there are very few people who have been able to experience that. I’ve also experienced a few hurricanes, here I am playing around during hurricane Frances.
- 2. My last 3 jobs have been at really cool places. The first was the Kennedy Space Center, I worked in travel at Boeing and got to see 2 launches from my desk. AMAZING to see so close. Second job was at Sea World, I worked as a photographer and loved every minute of it. Growing up in Central FL I always wanted to work at a theme park (hello, free tickets!!!) and I’m glad I got the opportunity. I held a penguin, baby alligator, got to touch “Shamu”, a sea lion, dolphins and on my last day I got to swim with the sharks. I didn’t make much money there or I’d still work there now but it was a great job to have in school. Third job is where I am now. I won’t share exactly but I’ll say that I’m in sports and I really enjoy the excitement of this particular sport. No, its not the Patriots, which is by far my favorite team ever.
- 3. I got hit by a drunk driver when I was 14 and it ruined my first brand new bike ever. The guy backed up over me and ran over my leg and the bike tire. 4 years of physical therapy, knee scope surgery and it still hurts. Oh well.
- 4. I was born in Massachusetts but grew up in FL. My parents came to vacation in FL one winter when the weather back home was terrible and my dad transferred to FL one month later. I still consider myself a Northerner though. I say y’all but I also say “draw” instead of drawer, I’m all screwed up.
- 5. I married my husband on April Fools day, in a black dress. Why not? Our first weddings were big and flashy and the marriages fizzled out. We figured we’d already gotten that out of our system earlier so we’d just make it fun and simple. I wore black because I’d just bought a new dress from Ann Taylor and didn’t really have anywhere specific to wear it yet
Yesterday was Mother’s Day and it was a loooong day filled with a ton of errands so I thought I’d decompress a bit and add a few more random bits of info about me to extend the introduction.
- I have ONE fear and its a big one. Its a fear of when other people vomit. I don’t like to vomit myself but if I do its not a huge deal but I have a panic attack and want to pass out if I even think someone near me might get sick. I’m a crappy mom when my daughter is sick but she’s learned to understand its not just a “eww thats gross” sorta thing that I go through, its a “OMG I’d rather commit suicide than be near someone who might get sick”. I’m convinced this is what kept me away from parties while in high school where people were drinking too much. And for those who may be thinking “you need to be a mom and be with your child when they are sick and need to just deal with it” I say “screw you, it freaks me out!” Plus, my daughter is the type of person who thinks its really weird that some people want company while they are getting sick. Win-win situation here. She understands me, I understand her and I firmly believe God gives you the kid you need. Besides, if you really think about it, having the contents of one’s stomach spontaneously shoot out of their mouth IS really pretty freaky and its ok to be freaked out by that!
- I like cats and pretty much only cats. Some tiny dogs are cute to look at but they are just a lot more work than cats so as an adult I’ve only owned cats. I’d consider a small dog like a pug, Yorkie or Chihuahua but mostly just because they are tiny and cute. I still wouldn’t want to pick up warm poo from the yard with a little baggie or have to smell a wet dog. Like this dog rocking it out during Bike Week in Daytona? Super Cute!
- I LOVE baking and enjoy cooking. When I cook dinner though I lose a lot of desire to eat the food though. I guess at that point I’m over it.
- I eat my french fries with mustard most of the time. Friends in high school would pick french fries off my plate while I was eating my pizza and I’d have hardly any fries left when I got done. Then I got the brilliant idea to put mustard all over them and nobody really picked at them after that. I figured I liked pretzels with mustard so why not fries too? Now I kinda prefer them that way and most people say its gross so now I don’t have to share!
- Not about me but my brother, he was chubby as a baby and thought he was Chinese for YEARS because his eyes didn’t open much when he was smiling. I’m not sure exactly where he got that idea but I never corrected him.
- My blog name is kind of in honor of my grandmothers. Both are of Irish descent and both kinda have called me a brat a few times (or more). My mom’s mom is actually from Ireland, she sounds just like Mrs. Doubtfire and when she said I was a rascal she’d say that I was a “cheeky wee brat”. It was sometimes said when she was joking but wasn’t necessarily a good thing if she called you that. My other grandmother’s family was from Ireland but from a few generations back and she was the one person in my family who really got me. She raised 6 kids, 5 of them were boys and she was the perfect mom to raise 5 boys. If you said something naughty, sarcastic or funny she’d call you “fresh” and with her, this was a GOOD thing. I always got in trouble for my quick wit and sarcastic, dry sense of humor but with her, this was celebrated and that is why I named my blog after the idea of what my grandmothers said. My Irish grandmother is not online and probably wouldn’t approve of my having a blog but my Massachusetts grandmother who just died in January was online, had a Facebook page and would have gotten a kick out of reading all the various and random stories I plan to share and that I hope you enjoy.
Here are a few more random facts about me and my family
- Random fact 6. I had all 4 grandparents until July 4th of 2013 when my grandfather (Granda) died. Then, six months later to the day, my Massachusetts grandmother (known as Grammy) died. 4 days after that, her husband (Grampy) died. Not even 24 hours after his wife’s funeral! Whats even weirder is that when Granda died on July 4th, I was in my car on the way to visit him and I was talking to my other grandparents up North, wishing them a happy anniversary. I still have one grandmother left and she’s pretty sick but I hope she makes it past July 4th. I’d hate to have to say I lost all 4 grandparents in one year. I do know though that I am very lucky to have had 34-35 years with so many grandparents.
- 7. I was a movie extra (unpaid) in the movie Space Cowboy when I worked at the Space Center. Its a totally cheesy movie but I am visible in the movie and I got to shake hands with Clint Eastwood, Tommy Lee Jones, James Garner and Donald Sutherland. When I saw the movie in the theater I was crossing all my fingers and toes that a small piece of me could be seen just because I thought it would be cool to see that and I know my blood pressure was off the chart waiting for that scene.
Hi, my name is Alexis and welcome to my little home on the web. My “real” name is Alexis and I go by that by 98% of the people I know but for some reason my husband insists on calling me Alex. He and everyone that has met me through him tends to call me Alex. Growing up the name Alexis was sorta uncommon unless you were a Spanish or Greek little boy or a fan of Dynasty so I’ve learned to answer anytime I hear a name that has an “X” in it so Alexis or Alex is fine with me. I’ve blogged off and on for a few years but I’ve decided to get back into it because although I waste a lot of time online I needed to find a way to turn it to be somewhat productive. Using my creative skills and typing online (heaven for an introvert) is a way to be productive while still mostly goofing off online. I hope you’ll stay, drop me a comment or two or ask me a question.